Thursday 23 August 2007

Rome: The End

Sorry about the delay, my loyal readers. Been a bit crazy over here in the last few weeks, Finishing up work and tying up some loose ends. Not sure if that is the right spelling for Tying, but, hey, Egal (that means "whatever" in german: it also may be spelt wrong). For some reason blogger.com is in german all of a sudden, which normally wouldn't be a problem, I know what the most common buttons mean in german now, but the spell check doesn't work. BOOOO
The collusium is absolutely amazing. To tell you the truth I thought that it looked kinda fake from the outside, though. Non the less, it was a must see for me in Europe and I think that other than the Vatican I spent the most time at the Colussium.
It costs about 11 euros to get in, which I thought was a lot. Great view inside though. I still don't know how they got boats inside this sucker either. The stupidest thing about Rome is that most of the attactions have reduced prices, not for student, or seniors, or kids, but for "People from the EU.".......... WHAT?........ I really couldn't make sense of this, Its like they didn't want me to be there. Not very impressed Rome, making me spend my hard earned money. I couldn't convince the cashier man that my German Residence Pass inside my passport made me a EU citizen either. I really wasn't convinced myself, maybe thats why it didn't work. First time ever that the Canadian Passport has worked against me. If there is one thing that is better than the Colussium during the day, it is the colussium at night. Its almost like they paid a bunch of artists to place the lights perfectly so that tourist could take great pictures. It was really impressive at night, I have numerous shots very similar to this one. I sat around in front of the colussium most of the evening on Sunday. I met a bunch of young American girls that made me take a bunch of pictures of them and I watched the people try to sell Fake gucci bags and little touristy trinkets all night. I felt really bad for them though, every once in a while the Police would drive by and they would have to pick up all their stuff and scramble. A few times the cops would sneak up on them and drive all around the sidewalks and pathways chasing them. Try to run from the cops with 30 Gucci bags in a bed sheet over your shoulder.

On the last day I got really unmotivated and tired. I originally intended to rent a vespa scooter and zip around the city. The rome streets are kinda like the auto-bahn but with moving targets, it looked fun. I ended up buying a Paris tour guide book and walked around the city reading it. I also waited around for my night train for a while at Rome Termini Train Station, one of the larger stations in europe. I had to wait in line for my reservation forever, never doing that again. Also they had a full time staff of people driving around on Zamboni looking machines sucking up garbage off the floor. It was a lot more entertaining than you would think, I actually threw garbage on the floor to get him to drive close to me. haha, not really. I'm not a jerk.

4 comments:

Timothy Holden said...

I know you took a picture of the zamboni. I know you did.

Chris said...

I actually didn't

I ran out of memory near the end. I wish I did though

ps. see if there is a Brocklyn Redmen game happening when I'm back in bowmanville. I know a guy that plays for them. We should go see him

Timothy Holden said...

It looks like July 11th was their last game.

Chris said...

pooper sticks, oh well